Student Access to Microsoft Teams for Remote Learning
At Taylors Lakes Secondary College, students will require access on Microsoft Teams to join remote learning class meetings with their teachers. It is essential that all students familiarise themselves with access as well as navigating through the application. This is a simple guide to show students what credentials they need to access their Microsoft Teams account. Further down the page is a quick tutorial on how students can add their classes to the calendar (if it has not appeared).
Once students have access to Microsoft Teams; their classes will appear on the main ‘Teams’ page. Students who cannot see the class listed will need to contact their teachers via Compass for them to be added to the Team (class).
Accessing Microsoft Teams can be achieved in two different ways – through the Microsoft Teams website or more predominantly; the Microsoft Teams App.
Being able to access Teams across these two platforms will largely assist students who are having difficulties with audio or visual – simply put; if one fails, use the other as fallback.
To access Microsoft Teams via the website:
1. Open your browser of choice and go to the following website – https://teams.microsoft.com/
Accessing via Web Browser
3. Your password is the same password you use to access your student emails. Click Sign In.
4. If you are using a personal device, you may check on “Don’t show this again” and click Yes.
5. You will now be greeted at the main Teams page. All your classes shall appear in here.
Accessing via Teams App
The following instructions are for Windows based devices. MacOS installations share the same download link.
To access Microsoft Teams via the app:
1. Open your browser of choice and go to the following website – https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads
2. Click on 'Download for Desktop'.
3. On the next screen, please click on 'Download Teams'. MacOS users will see an Apple icon.
4. Open the downloaded file. Installation will begin automatically in the background. This process will not take long - please be patient.
5. Once installed, the Microsoft login screen will appear; login using your TLSC student credentials (these credentials are identical to the student emails). E.g. ABC0001@tlsc.vic.edu.au
6. Your password is the same password you use to access your student emails. Click Sign In.
7. Please be patient while your profile is loading.
8. You will now be greeted at the main Teams page. All your classes shall appear in here.
Adding Scheduled Meetings to Calendar
1. To add the scheduled Team (class) meetings to your calendar, start by selecting your Team.
2. In that Team, you will see that your teacher has created the scheduled meeting; which will consist of the name, date and time. Click on the 3 dots from the top right of the post and select 'View Meeting Details'.
3. In the View meeting details window, click on 'Add to Calendar'. You might get asked to add as an occurrence or a series. This depends on whether the remote learning period is for short term or long term. If short term, choose occurrence; if long term, choose series.
4. You will now be able to view the scheduled class by clicking on the Calendar tab - left hand pane.
5. When all schedules have been added to your Calendar; it may look something like the image below. You can now go to your class meeting at its allocated time and click on the 'join' icon to attend the class.
If you have any questions, please send an email to IT@tlsc.vic.edu.au for support.